Friday, 8 July 2011

I hope Hubby and I are that happy after 60 years

Grandparents.

Something special about grandparents. 

I only really had one set.  My bio-dad's certainly don't' count.  I guess they were around when I was little, but not in a good way.  Except that maybe I learned to eat marzipan and had a favourite homemade polka-dot blankie. 

But Mom's parents?  They were good to me.  I was their favourite.  I mean, obviously.  

Papa used to hide money in his side table from the "Money Fairy".  I used to sit with him in his lazy boy and watch Judge Wapner's People's Court (dun dun dun... dun dun dun), followed by Golden Girls and Polka Dot Door.  Papa had emphysema and couldn't really play with me.  But he did let me mess with the up-and-down buttons on his home hospital bed.


Nana used to make Mom and I dinner every night.  I'd have a little side-dish of frozen peas. I used to pretend they were pills and pop them with my milk.  Shut up.  She also used to sneak me the second half of the Joe Louis that Mom didn't want me to eat.  Nana was English and very proper.  She always wanted me to sit with my legs closed - -n hindsight, a good tip.  She taught me fun little hand games (like "here's the church, here's the steeple," but better).  But she wouldn't let me play in the bird bath - wtf?

Papa died when I was nine.  Nana got Alzheimer's shortly afterward and lived in a nursing home.  She died when I was in high school.  I wish I'd had an adult relationship with them, but no such luck. 

I do have another set of pseudo grandparents that are wonderful.  But they live far away and I don't get to see them very often. 

I have, however, been with Hubby for 10 years.  And if there's one good thing about that, it's that I get to benefit from Hubby's THREE awesome sets of grandparents. 

Grampa Alan, who always treated me like one of the family.  He died a couple of years ago, and sadly, he missed our wedding. 

Gran who has a special place in my heart, and Gramps who is about to be 90 and is basically more lively than I am.  Actually, not basically, he totally is. 

And Nan and Poppy, who are HILARIOUS and sarcastic and so much fun.  Nan who loves Bingo, and Pop who loves his Jack and Pepsi.  Y'all would really get a kick out of them.  They've been together for more than 60 years, and they're as in love as ever.   

But Poppy isn't doing well, and he's not going to make it.  I'll miss him.  I love him.  And I'll cherish my many laughs with him.

Grandparents.  Something special.   
_

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about Poppy. You were blessed with some awesome grandparents. I'll keep you in my thoughts this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your Poppy. I just took dinner over to my last remaining grandparents last night...something I try to do at least once a month. I am constantly reminded at how little time they have...and it breaks my heart.

    Thinking about you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry that your Poppy isn't doing well. But I'm glad you have happy memories of him and all these wonderful grandparents! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now I'm teary eyed at work... people will start asking questions.

    Grandparents, definitely something special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My paternal grandparents were married for 60 years. My paternal grandfather died two weeks before his 98th birthday. And a week before he died, he was out mowing the grass! My maternal grandparents were married fro 55 years, and they had the kind of love I dream about. The kind that grows with you as a couple. I was lucky enough to have all my grandparents in my life for a very long time. I was especially close to my maternal grandfather. I was his favorite. Obviously :) Even after ten years, his loss is like a physical ache. But I pull out my memories of sitting on his lap, eating popcorn and watching Jeopardy. I'm sad to hear about your poppy (which incidentally is what I call my dad), but I'm glad you've had this time with him in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandparents are totally special. Able to spoil and dote on us like our parents aren't allowed. I'm sorry about Poppy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you and your family, and sending you lots of mental hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi.

    Followed you here after your HIGHlarious comment at lady estrogen's place.

    You made me pee my pants.

    I followed you home.

    Funny lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much guys. I'm glad you can relate to my granparent love.

    Poppy died yesterday afternoon after a difficult battle with Cancer. It's a hard time for our family, but we're doing ok.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry about Poppy. Much love to you and your family. xx

    ReplyDelete