Sunday, 27 March 2011

Somebody get me a time machine

Sometimes you just want to live in the past. 

You might wish you were 10 years old again, when your only problem was your sixth grade love triangle

Or, you may wish you were living in an entirely different time altogether.  Maybe hang out in the 1920s with a flapper, sit in the local underground pub, down some hooch, and dance to the tunes of a gramophone.  That'd be the cat's meow. 

And if you grew up during the era of The Beatles, you'd probably wish you could go back to that time and bask in the glow of the yellow submarine.  And even if you didn't grow up during Beatle Mania, you might wish you had. 

What an amazing time.  What a revolution.  Musically, and socially.  [Imagine all the people, living life in peace.] 

And let's be honest, there were all those great drugs too.  [Toe jam football.]

Well, last night we had a blast from the past.  We went to see a Beatles tribute band - The Caverners - and it was effing brilliant.  [Ob La Di, Ob La Da]

These guys had the whole vibe perfected.  From Ringo's grin and Lennon's long hair, to Paul's voice and George's electric guitar.  If you closed your eyes, you'd think: "Hey!  It's The Beatles!"  and if you opened your eyes, you'd think: "Holy f-ck, god save me, Lennon's ALIVE!"

They were so good.  I can't even explain it.  These guys made me wish John, Paul, George, and Ringo would come back and kick that little Beiber shithead's ass. 

I've always loved The Beatles, but last night's show shot my admiration to new levels.  [Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns.]

It made me wish I'd been there, in February 1964 when Ed Sullivan brought these adorable young men to North America...




...and then in the following years when they influenced and inspired a generation.



I wish I was part of that generation. 

Even now, those songs inspire me.  Bring me joy and make me smile.  [Little darling, it's been a long cold and lonely winter.]

These songs speak to me. 

When I was younger, so much younger than today
I never needed anybody's help in any way
But now these days are gone, I'm not so self assured
Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors
Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I do appreciate you being round
Help me, get my feet back on the ground
Won't you please, please help me, help me

And I wish I'd been there to experience it first hand - the giddiness, and hysterical crying fits, and the freedom - and wishing I knew what it was like to be of my mother's generation, sitting watching this tribute band 40 years later and really, truly knowing exactly what it was like



This was taken about 30 seconds before we burst into tears and rushed the stage. 
 
Just call me Penny Lane.
_

4 comments:

  1. Sigh. I totally know what you mean, although my band of choice would be Led Zeppelin. Ever see the movie "Almost Famous"? Still one of my favorite movies of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Led Zeppelin too! And I love that movie! That's where I got the whole "Penny Lane" thing. I love when they sing Tangerine, on the bus I think. We had lots of LZ and Beatles music at our wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! My mom LOVED the Beatles and wanted to marry Paul. My grandma surprised my mom on her 13th Birthday with a Beatles concert. My mom told me that all the girls, including her, were screaming so loud and crying, you couldn't even hear the band but it was still one of the most amazing experiences she's had. :)

    I would pay to have someone make that Bieber kid disappear. I didn't even like boys like that when I was younger and don't get his lame appeal. I've only heard a few seconds of his "singing" and it made me stabby. Wow, I'm bitter about Bieber. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that story! I'll tell my mom. She'll be SO jealous of your mom!

    Stabby and bitter about Bieber, YES!

    ReplyDelete