Thursday, 29 March 2012

Poor Hubby. And I'm an idiot.

Last night Hubby and I were preparing for bed - cleaning up the kitchen, feeding the cats, arguing about kitty litter, and the like. 

We were putting away the remnants from dinner, and I was packing the leftovers for my lunch at work (because the effing cafeteria is a renovation disaster, so they can't make all the food, not that the food was any good to begin with, but now it's just worse, unless I toast my own toast where every other person before me has left all their fucking dirty toast crumbs in the margarine). 

As I was packing up my lunch of left-overs, a thought crossed my mind.  And for those of you who are married (or something similar), you may know what it's like to live with someone and basically just blurt out every random thought because... well... because the other person is in earshot. 

Me:  You know what I've determined?

Hubby:  What?

Me:  That if I cook all the red peppers at night and then reheat them in the microwave at work the next day, they're way to soggy.  I'm much better off if I just cut RAW red pepper into my tupperware.  Then, when I warm up the pasta, the peppers cook just enough to be non-soggy. 

Hubby:  ?

Me:  Fuck you! 

Hubby:  What?!

Me:  That look on your face!

Hubby:  WHAT LOOK?!

Me:  That "fuck, did she really just tell me that whole thing, how do I keep a straight face" look.

Hubby:  Well, man!

Me:  WE'VE BEEN TOGETHER FOR 11 YEARS!!  THERE'S NOTHING INTERESTING LEFT TO SAY!

Hubby:  *Laughing hysterically*  How did you know my face?!

Me:  WE'VE BEEN TOGETHER FOR 11 YEARS!!!  I KNOW THAT STUPID FACE. 

Hubby:  *annoyingly quoting my red pepper story*

Me:  *laughing, but wanting to punch him so taking off up the stairs*

27 comments:

  1. OMG -sighs- i miss having those conversations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, booo. They can be fun, but they can be damn annoying too. Tongiht we argued in front of H&R taxes girl about who said they'd bring what documentation and it wasn't as funny.

      Delete
  2. I just imagined both of you doing a whole lot of air quotes. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The same thing happens at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's awesome you guys know each other that well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the things i tell my husband often bore him to tears. it's a wonder he still comes home at night. maybe it's because i cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's true. however, he doesn't get to use it very often these days.

      Delete
  6. yeah. . . i get this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that good? It doesn't seem like that's good...

      Delete
  7. Or when you spend 15 minutes talking about how you just took the LARGEST.DUMP.IN.THE.WORLD?

    Ya those convos. I get it.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ew! No! Hubby and I pretend that stuff isn't real. I don't even like it when he burbs. There was some slippage when he was so ill after our trip south, but we're back on the silent track now!

      Delete
  8. So...ummm.... were the peppers soggy the next day?

    ReplyDelete
  9. See, if I say something like that I don't even get a look. I just get the butter tub tossed back at me with more toast crumbs. I hate those butter-toast crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so cute. He tried so hard to keep a straight face. Usekess effort. *big grin*

      Delete
  10. Love this! Before I met and married my husband, I never gave crumbs in the butter a second thought. I mean, I don't think that I had crumbs in my butter (like, ever!) but it also wasn't anything that I consciously thought or cared about. But now! Oh man. It is one of those things that he just can't abide by or even understand HOW it could possibly happen and what the HELL is WRONG with people? Crumbs in the butter around here are grounds for a-hangin'. No trial, no jury, we just hang 'em and forget 'em. Bag 'em and tag 'em. (Which, being Canadian, goes against the whole "quiet and polite" thing we tend to have going on internationally.

    I once thought that I had perhaps married a complete nutjob (which can happen when it's 72 days from first date to wedding alter) but I see now that he's not alone and there is sanity in numbers. Right? Um, right?

    And yes, I know - crumbs in the butter wasn't the actual topic of your post, but it just spoke to me. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks for this comment! I love that you guys got married so quickly. Crumbs dosn't really bothr me when they're my own crumbs, bit other people's crumbs?! NO WAY.

      I'm Canadian too! I live in the Capital.

      Delete
  11. Oh this is just too funny! Because it's so true. LOL I've been married longer than you and I've learned that men are simple people...they only have about 5 different facial expressions--and we wives know them all. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only funny from the outside! I've only been married for 2 and a half years, but we've been otgether since we were inhigh school! If anyone knows Hubby, it's me!!

      Delete
  12. Damn. You must be psychic: bells peppers really are never the same once they have been re-heated. o_O

    -Barb the French Bean

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you may have just described the very thing that happened in our kitchen last week lol. We're exactly like this. I say the most random things out loud & he just looks at me like 'why the fuck did you think it was relevant for me to hear this?'.

    The joys of marriage :)

    ReplyDelete