Friday, 6 May 2011

Tina Fey may save your life

So.  In the wake of the last few days' pathetic little reality check, I feel a bit better today. 

It truly is #HappyISuckLessThanYesterdayDay (Thank you Miss Jenny, The Bloggess and master of all things interwebs.) 

I even woke up on my own accord, and yes, I even got out of bed. 

Then I went to one of my most favourite happy places - my back deck in the morning - and sat in the sun for a couple of hours.  I soaked up the rays (sprayed with sunscreen thankyouverymuch) and listened to a squirrel scream weird noises in what I can only assume was part of a freaky deaky mating dance.  (Either that or he was mad that I ate his peanuts.)

Then I ate a kiwi and four two slices of cinnamon toast.  And I rolled up my pajama pants too far up my thighs until they cut of the circulation to my lower legs, and parked myself in the patio chair, leaning back until my ass went numb.   

And then I finished my book.  Not a book I wrote, a book I read. 

Bossypants, by Tina Fey. 


Tiny Fey's new biography-style collection that every single one of you should read.

My friend lent it to me.  She said I HAVE to read it - it will save my life.  Then she said she may have over-sold it. 

Turns out, she was nearly spot-on.  I'm not sure if Tina Fey saved my life, but she certainly did improve it. 

She writes in a similar style to all the great blogs I read.  Short and clever, funny and sarcastic, light but meaningful.  Pure gold. 

Tina highlgihted all her best stories... From being a quirky drama-kid during childhood, to doing improv with Amy Poehler (and other geniuses) at Chicago's Second City, to becoming head writer and star of Saturday Night Live, and then producing, writing, and lead acting in her show 30 Rock. 

"I can see Russia from my how-se"

Not to mention, offering several words of wisdom for attempting motherhood, working in a Dick Pickle-dominated universe, and generally surviving day-to-day life. 

I've always loved Tina Fey.  Hhilarious and smart and one of those self-made women we all wish we could be.  Impressive.  And even though I hate Lindsey Lohan, Mean Girls was genius.  And Baby Mama was an effing riot. 



So, thanks Tina.  You are my newest hero. 

PS - I wish you were on Twitter. 

_

11 comments:

  1. So glad you're out of bed today and based on nothing other than this review (and that I'm not-so-secretly in love with Tina except now that I just said her first name without her last name I'm all ew, yuck, *Tina?* *Really?* so don't do that, just always call her "Tina Fey" or even "Ms. Fey," trust me on this) I'm going to go out and get this book and I might even read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww....Tina Fey is awesome! I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A while ago I officially nominated Tina Fey to play me in the story of my life. She's awesome. She'd probably be great on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. I'm glad you agree with me on how awesome Tina is.

    Oh, Handflapper, you're right. Tina without the Fey sounds weird. All celebrities always need both names. Unless it's Madonna or Angelina or Beyonce or something. Did you know that Tyra recently dropped the "Banks" so now she's just "Tyra"? Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just finished a book that's taken me forever to read and a few days ago I got Tina Fey's book on my kindle but haven't started it yet. I must start reading it tonight. I'm so glad you're feeling better, even if it's just a bit.

    While reading this, my mind went from 'love Tina Fey' to 'pervy squirrel' to 'yum' (the cinammon toast, not the pervy squirrel) to 'love Tina Fey (again)' to 'ewww (Lohan)' to 'love those movies'. As I used to say ALL the time when I was younger, I just thought I'd share that with you. ;) Anyway, sharing is caring. Unless it's an STD.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elle, you're so cute! Thanks :)
    I think you'll like Bossypants. It was the perfect book for me right now - light and funny with some real advice spattered throughout. Let me know what you think.
    "unless it's an STD" - haha!
    "pervy squirrel" - lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I now must finish my book so that I can buy and read Miss Tina Fey's book next. Glad u are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am also glad you're feeling better. And thank you for the book review...I am collecting books to read on the treadmill. This one sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Tina Fey. Must get book. Squirrels are assholes and serial killers (redundant, I know) so you may have just been an unknowing witness to a squirrel crime. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. jacqui - You can read on a treadmill? Don't you get motion sick?

    Laura - You kill me. Hubby and I were quoting you all day today in our backyard (there are way too many squirrels in our backyard) "Assholes and serial killers" lol

    ReplyDelete