Tuesday, 1 June 2010

Lollipops, good. Blowpops, better.

Well, since the initiation of this little online diary of mine, you voted, and, despite my desire to write about whatever pickle shit comes to mind, you have determined that I should write about lollipops, rainbows, and unicorns.  Bunch of effing optimists.

So, because I refuse to let you win that easily, I’ve decided to compromise.  I will therefore try to meld the two concepts.  I’ve decided to let the words flow freely – just let the thoughts rush out of my brain, and then put them to paper.

I’ll start with lollipops.   Here goes.

I love lollipops.  And as a kid I loved that song "Lollipop, Lollipop, oh, Lolli Lolli Lolli.  Lollipop.  POP".  (That "pop" at the end of the chorus is the best part - where you put your fingers inside your cheak and pop them out.)   

Although I do love lollipops, I love chocolate better.  Actually, a chocolate lollipop is the ideal combination.  In the strict category of hardened sugar on a stick, however, I like those rock candy lollopops, with all the crystallized candy that coats a wooden stick.

But I think my favourite lollipop is a Blow Pop.  In case you don’t already know (what’s wrong with you, anyway?), a Blow Pop is a candy sucker with a wad of bubblegum on the inside.  Like a Tootsie Pop, but better.  (How many licks does it take to get to the centre of a Tootsie Pop?)

I used to tiptoe into the closet in the spare bedroom (where my mother ‘safely’ stored my three giant pillowcases of Halloween candy kindly bestowed by neighbourhood strangers) to pull out my favs: mini chocolate bars, Rockets, and, of course, Blow Pops.  One morning I was in the basement watching Saturday morning cartoons enjoying my Blow Pop – and nearly delirious thanks to a massive sugar high.  My mom called my name and I went bounding up the stairs two at a time, reaching the top with my hands on the kitchen floor, looking up at her, before I remembered that I had the damn thing between my teeth.  Busted.

Now I always give Blow Pops out at Halloween, since they’re probably every kid’s favourite.  And if they’re not, they oughta be.

No comments:

Post a Comment