Sunday, 2 June 2013

Our love story will freak your freak

Hey look.  I'm blogging.  Weird, eh?

I can't put my finger on why it's been so long, necessarily, other than the fact that I'm now 8 months pregnant and it has not been the easiest thing I've ever done - to say the least.

But something funny happened today that made me and Hubby laugh, which is nice because if I'm honest with myself, laughter hasn't been as prominent in my daily life as it once was - another symptom of pregnancy, I suspect.  So laughing out loud today, shaking this giant belly of mine, felt, well, pretty damn good.

We went to Hometown for a wedding this weekend.  Not just any wedding, but my best friend's wedding.  My best friend who is so sweet, and so considerate, and so happy with her new husband that I have been devastated - and I mean devastated - that I haven't been able to be the perfect maid of honour.  The effort and emotional energy that growing a baby requires has unfortunately taken away from my capacity as best friend.  I've done my best, which in my eyes it isn't good enough.  In fact, I almost couldn't even be there, so at least I accomplished that much, right?

So.  Hubby and I drove to Hometown, enjoyed the wedding, and then made our way to our hotel for some much needed rest.  Given the emotional disaster I had become throughout the course of the day, a two-hour drive home late last night stopped being an option.

I felt a bit better this morning.  We packed up our stuff (poor Hubby carrying my 16 heavy bags) and walked (in my case, waddled) to the lobby to check out.

When I came around the corner I immediately recognized the girl behind the counter.

"Annie!"

Annie went to school with me.  In fifth grade.  And in case you haven't heard the story a million times before, not only did she go to school with me, but Hubby too.  Yes, Hubby and I went to school together in fifth grade, and every grade after that until we started dating at 16, married at 25, and are now in the process of growing a tiny human at 29.

Annie recognized me too, and quickly noticed how fat I am - but that's not the funny part.  She looked at me, and then Hubby came around the corner.  Annie, like every other girl in our class (including me), had a huge crush on Hubby.  She looked at him, recognized him right away, exclaimed his name, and then:

"...wait..."

*eyes to me, eyes to Hubby, eyes back to me*

And then?  Then came the most hilarious confused and surprised facial expression I've ever witnessed.

See, Annie is apparently the one person in Hometown that I haven't actually seen since we were about 12 years old, and it seems she wasn't familiar with the adorable Hubby-Wifey Love Story.

It's as if she was in the twilight zone.  We freaked her freak.  The look on her face said "Whoa. What year is this? Am I on shrooms?"

I laughed. "Yep.  We're married."

She laughed "And you're pregnant!"

We chatted for a minute, left the hotel, and then laughed for about 20 minutes.

This is Hometown; this is my remarkable history with this wonderful husband of mine.  And I adore it.


15 comments:

  1. Yay for laughter! I was so happy to find a new post this morning :) My day is so much better now!

    P.s. I'm sure your waddle is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you dear! I wouldn't call it adorable...

      Delete
  2. you literally made my Monday morning because you blogged. You are my sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please excuse me for a moment while I go all swoony twelve year old girl, but AWWWWWWW! I love that you've known your husband since 5th grade. I do hope your love story is being made into a movie as we speak, er write...as I write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! I didn't know about you and your hubby knowing each other for so long. Thank you for blogging! I've needed a Snappy fix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Annie's part in Keanu Reeves' voice from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh...that hometown post blew my ever loving mind! I believe you though...LOL! <3 Devan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I couldn't even follow it when I re-read it.

      Delete
  7. You are adorable.
    Good luck with the last bit of the pregnancy. I'm excited for you.

    ReplyDelete