Sunday, 16 June 2013

I bet parenting is a shit show. But he's got this.

I never really had to think about Father's Day, given that I never actually had one. I mean, sometimes it popped up here and there, but generally? Generally Father's Day doesn't really occur to me. 

Until this year, because this year HUBBY is the new father in my life. 

This little Fraggle is due to exit my womb in about 3 weeks (we'll see what she actually decides to do - she's indecisive, I can already tell... Like Hubby maybe!) and all I can think about is what a wicked dad my Hubby already is, let alone how awesome he'll be once he can actually, ya know, *see* his daughter. 

First, he will totally play with her. Not just "Hey let's play catch after dinner" but also "Hey let's get down on the floor and build forts! And stack blocks! And tackle each other! And tickle each other! And dress up dolls! And have a tea party! And bounce around on the exercise ball! And use power tools! And fix things! And run with a grocery cart, jump on it, and coast through the parking lot! And sing songs! And STRUM THE GUITAR! And hey I'll race ya!"  I picture Hubby as the "let's do anything you want to do" kind of dad, because: a) he's young at heart: and, b) he will in *no way* be able to resist her smile.

Second, he will understand her. I think he *may* have a little doubt on this one, simply because she's a girl - and growing up as the oldest of three boys makes him a little uncertain about girls. (Who can blame him? Girls are volitile and mysterious jerks.) However, it is, in my estimation, completely impossible for a sensitive and loving man such as my Hubby to not fully understand his daughter - or at least fully support and adore her, no matter what. Even when she needs a diaper change, or a pretty outfit, or a braid in her hair, or when she cries about some dumbass boy. She'll go to him for that stuff. She'll go to him for anything. 

Finally, Hubby will protect her - protect her in a way that I was never protected, a way that only a daddy can protect. That "you're safe in my arms and I will NEVER hurt you" kind of way that (no matter how much feminism I spit at people) I know I missed out on - even with a strong and independent momma. The way I see it, Fraggle will get the best of both worlds on this one. Me, being strong and conscientious on my own, but also knowing I depend on Hubby as my rock and my defender on a daily basis; and Hubby, being patient and helpful, and overall an active participant in his relationships. 

Hubby dear, I can't wait for you and I to tackle the SHIT SHOW that this whole parenting thing is bound to be. I wouldn't have it any other way. We got this. Hands down. 

 

8 comments:

  1. Guaranteed you will have your very own shit story before it's over - you guys will be blessed with some good shit. That Fraggle will make it worth every turd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Hubby is dreading the poop part too... but he'll manage!

      Delete
  2. awww... this is super sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Fraggle already has Hubby wrapped around her unborn finger . . . impressive power that wee one welds! :) Also, I totally love this post.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for sure. I, however, am tough as nails... ;)

      Delete
  4. I just have to say that it definitely takes men a while to get used to the whole baby thing. Especially because at first "they don't do anything'...

    It'll be a while before they walk / talk and have much of a personality, but then comes to the fun stuff.

    I wish you both luck with all of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt Hubby will be on board from beginning to end. I think "getting used" to a baby takes some adjustment for anyone.

      Delete