Sunday, 9 September 2012

Meet my friend Sinkhole

Remember when I told you about Tuesday's sinkhole

This sinkhole:



Well, that sinkhole has become quite the running gag around here. 

On Wednesday morning, more people talked about that sinkhole than talked about the several serious news stories impacting our city, including a provincial election and even a tragic shooting.  Unlike the other legitimate news stories, the sinkhole was novel; it was tangible; it was impacting thousands of commuters.  It was the talk of the town. 

Then the sinkhole got bigger, which just fueled its news-worthiness.  It became the size of an Olympic pool (Michael Phelps style), which meant the whole east-bound highway would be closed for TWO WEEKS for repairs - including the expensive special order of GIANT sewer pipes. 






This is HIGHWAY, you guys.  A real highway that is packed with commuters every day before and after work, linking my eastern suburb to centretown.  So I'm sure you can imagine the commuter chaos that ensued. 

Cars were backed up for hours upon hours across the city.  Of course I was thrilled to take the bus.  Our city transpo services got their shit together on this one.  They fully screwed over highway drivers by maintaining the dedicated bus lane.  BOOYAW. 

And then things got ridiculous, because that's when the sinkhole got itself a twitter account

The sinkhole tweets, you guys. 

Par example:





And then I died with laughter. 

People all over town are tweeting the sinkhole.  News stations are interviewing it.  It sends messages to the mayor. 

Folks are joking about the likelihood that the sinkhole was the attempt of our suburb to separate itself from the city. (Which, if you're Canadian and just watched the Quebec election, you can appreciate the humour.)

Somebody made a hilarious ecard. 


Bus drivers are thanking the sinkhole for allowing them to re-route onto the wrong side of the highway.  Because it's fun. 


The whole city is laughing at the disaster of a car pulled from the sinkhole's mouth. 




And then, every time I assume this whole thing will blow over, it gets even better. 

Yesterday, ANOTHER SINKHOLE (no joke) fell through on the French side of the river, and of course it started tweeting too...  


 
...making the whole ordeal so priceless that I simply cannot get enough.

19 comments:

  1. I love that it has a twitter account!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Last night it was tweeting #SinkholeMovieLines. Like: Say hello to my little sinkhole. Ha!

      Delete
  2. O.M.F.G. This is hilarious! I literally laughed out loud when I read that chicken ecard. The hubs was like 'whats so funny?' so I just passed him the netbook to read it for himself. Then of course, we both laughed together.

    The 174sinkhole...bringing spouses together since 2012.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm glad you laughed! I cracked up at that ecard too. Kills me!

      Delete
  3. hilarious indeed, unless you're stuck in traffic. Finally twitter for good funny and not for evil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if I was stupid enough to drive to work and got stuck in traffic, I might think the twitter account was evil... But I'm not, so HILARIOUS! :)

      Delete
  4. omg, this is priceless. I laughed and laughed and laughed. And then laughed some more XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you laughed! It's my favourite thing - making you laugh. :)

      Delete
  5. I think my laughter is part due to the sink hole, and part due to the fact that I can totally picture you losing it over this at work. Like that time we couldn't stop laughing over sleeptalking man when we use to live in the same cube hood :) Hi.larious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Stupidity his hilarious to me, apparently. Ha!

      Delete
  6. it is so nice to see someone with a sense of humor in your road department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not sure the city is laughing. But I sure am.

      Delete
  7. Best chicken crossing the road joke ever. So do you have a favorite sink hole? I kinda like the accent on the French one..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The French accent is one of my fav things around here for sure. But I heart lies with MY sinkhole, the one around the corner from my house. :)

      Delete
  8. Awesome, very awesome. Has anyone thought that maybe there are giant mutant gofers tunneling under your city? Hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  9. LACE - It's finally fixed. Took them two weeks!

    Ashes - NO. You did NOT just say that. Now I"m all freaked out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete