Sunday, 30 September 2012

Bazinga!

Six weeks ago, I was clever enough to decide, with adequate advance notice, to throw Hubby a SURPRISE 28th birthday party.  What was originally just a fun idea became a perfectly executed reality as of yesterday afternoon. 

Last month I told Hubby not to make plans for the Saturday of his birthday.  I said we were going somewhere.  I had plans for us.  Just the two us. 

Clearly, I was a LIAR. 

Although I did have plans, my plans included 20 or 30 of our closest friends shouting BAZINGA at Hubby as he obliviously walked into the house. 

So Friday night, Hubby's actual birthday, he and I had a nice dinner at a nearby restaurant.  Hubby spent most of the meal convincing himself that he'd figured out my Saturday plans.  He was quite certain that we'd go see a favourite local band.  He quizzed me repeatedly, watching for my reaction.  "It doesn't even matter what you say," he said.  "I can just read you."  Oh really, Hubby?  You can read me?  Wow.  That's IMPRESSIVE.

Little did Hubby know, I'd been playing him like a fiddle for weeks. 

I started by asking his friend Larry to come to town, and get Hubby the hell outta my house for a few hours while I laboured. 

Then, I convinced Hubby to take a break on Saturday from roofing our house.  "You deserve a break, Honey.  It's your birthday for christsakes." 

Next, I asked my hilarious genius friend LB to tweet me, inviting me for a late lunch on Saturday afternoon.  Hubby would see the tweets and his subconscious would be incepted with the idea that I'd made plans. 

This meant that when Larry made an "unexpected" visit to town and wanted to hang out during the day, Hubby was free to do so.  The only rule was that he HAD to be home BY 7 O'CLOCK.  We had plans, of course. 

When Larry and Hubby left at 1:15 yesterday afternoon, by 1:16 I was cleaning, preparing food, collecting beer and cheese that was hidden at the neighbour's house, picking up the cake, and making up a dozen air mattresses for our house guests.  And while Larry managed to expertly distract Hubby for SIX WHOLE HOURS, I didn't manage to sit down even once during that same six hour period. 

But when Hubby walked through our door at precisely 7pm, all our effot was totally worth it.  He basically freaked out.  It was precious. 

Aaaaannnnddd... then we all rocked until 4am.  There was guitar playing, song singing, food eating, beer drinking, and of course late night living room dance partying


Thank you Sheldon Cooper. 
International Beer Pyramid.
Hubby wearing his new "Madame" sunglasses. 
 
 
Happy birthday Hubby darling.  I'm glad you didn't have a heart attack.  Although hospital parties can be fun too, I suppose. 







30 comments:

  1. You are too sweet! Your husband is a lucky man! Happy Birthday to him :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks dear! It really was ridiculous fun. I'm so thankful to all our friends who came.

      Delete
  2. Awe! That's incredibly awesome and sweet of you. Happy Birthday to your hubster!! Also, Excellent job on the Inception..you and Leo should totally be BFF's ;) and the fact your hubs JUST turned 28 makes me feel old. Ack! But on the bright side..HE'S ALMOST TO 30 AS WELL!!! Hahaha <my evil laugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LB and I are inception MASTERS. Watch out.

      I'mm be 29 in February. Shh. Don't tell.

      Delete
  3. how fun! a surprise party that comes off perfectly is a classic good time. good job, babe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was awesome. And I think we all could have partied even longer had we not made the responsible choice and gone to bed at 4. Ha!

      PS. So do I. Especially when he's an asshole.

      Delete
    2. oh yeah, his assholiness is the best! and his laugh gets me every time. i can't wait til netflix hurries up and sends me the most recent season available on dvd.

      Delete
  4. Can I put my part in incepting someone on my CV? LB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do. I plan to put "surprise party extraordinaire / LIAR" on mine.

      Delete
  5. Wow, sounds like it was an AWESOME party :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome surprise for your husband! I love that you shouted bazinga. Sheldon Cooper is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like (and looks like) an awesome party! Sadly, surprising my husband is well beyond my expertise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I'd pull it off. You should totally try one day.

      Delete
  8. I had an idea he would totally wear those glasses and now I'm so glad I gave them to him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They're perfect! Stupid and perfect.

      Delete
  9. I love it!!! Anything with a Sheldon Cooper reference is a win in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! My husband never lets me have secrets, dude can smell one coming from 100 miles away. I've always to have a surprise party for him...maybe one day. Glad you guys had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds really awesome! I could never pull that off. (blabber)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sure I would let it slip. But Hubby is oblivious.

      Delete
  12. This is so awesome....I seriously wish I could be your real life friend. :)
    Devan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was awesome! Hubby and I are still talking about it.

      You could be my BLOGGER friend if you started a BLOG. ;)

      Delete