Sunday, 8 July 2012

Gangstas who read


To help offset the bitch-fest that was my last post, here's something less ranty. 

On Friday afternoon I was genuinely grinning from ear to ear when I overheard a conversation between these two young dudes on the bus:

Gangstas who read. 
Maybe you can't tell, but the white dude has a few tattoos - one on his neck, and some others on his forearms.  His jeans are also hanging around his ass.  The black dude has a chain around his neck and he's clearly wearing a muscle shirt.  And both have oversized backwards hats.  (Although neither of them was wearing sunglasses, and the beard is my doing too.)

They seemed like decent kids.  When I say "gangstas" I don't mean murderous drug dealers - just young goofballs who are perhaps a little too caught up in pop culture.

But then I overheard them talking:

White gangsta:  I, uh, started reading a book yesterday. 

Black gangsta:  Really?

White gangsta:  Yeah. I was at my buddy's house and he had a lot of books.  This one looked interesting, so I borrowed it.  So far, it's really good.

Black gangsta:  That's cool, man. 

White gangsta:  So I'm just gonna read, now, K?

Black gangsta:  Yeah, ok.   

And then I smiled ALL THE WAY HOME. 

16 comments:

  1. ahhhhh youth... I wish the youth here was that enterprising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay reading! My younger son has always been a reader and my older son was so bored while he was in Afghanistan (THANK GAWD) he asked me to send him books and I happily complied, even though it costs like a kazillion dollars to send books overseas. And now he's back home and he's still reading. HOORAY FOR BOOKS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's so cool. The only book I've ever gotten Hubby to read is The Hunger Games.

      Delete
  3. My oldest is a huge reader. Yet because he loves video games so much people are surprised to hear my gosh he can read something without pictures and bubbles boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some readers surprise me. My boss claims he reads but he never mentions any books. To be fair, though, we do a lot of reading at work. Bah.

      Delete
  4. would have been more surprising if he'd admitted he had been to the library! nice post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! It's good to know there's still hope.

    After having a few teenagers go into complete shock after I explained that the Titanic and what happened to it were real, really actually real, I had just about given up on teenagers everywhere. ... and they didn't know who Richard Nixon was. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm Canadian and even I know Nixon. The whole Watergate thing right? Although, I certainly learned that from tv!

      Delete
  6. This is beyond awesome! It always makes me smile when I hear kids talking about books. Sad truth is, it happens very rarely but at least it happens :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that's why it was so cool. He wasn't even a dorky kid! On the outside, at least, he didn't appear it.

      Delete
  7. That's awesome! I wonder what book it was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to see, but I couldn't. It looked like it could have been fantasy... hard to tell.

      Delete