Monday, 19 December 2011

Trying is the operative word

Wow, December 19th and this is only my fourth post so far this month.  Must be some type of record or something. 

Everything's fine.  No need to worry. 

My Holiday Spirit is still nowhere to be found, but it doesn't really bother me - I'm not really investing my energy in trying to locate it.  I've done very little Christmas shopping, and I don't intend to do much more.  I've not sent any holiday cards, nor baked any goodies (although I still manage to eat a shit-ton), and there's a significant possibility that I won't get around to doing either of those things. 

Instead, I'm focused on our upcoming beach resort vacation next month.  "Aruba, Jamaica, ooo I wanna take ya... Key Largo, Montego, baby why don't we go..." I've spent a lot of time thinking about what type of new bathing suit I'll buy, where I'll find some cute summer dresses on sale, and how many granola bars I can fit into my suitcase, 

And today I researched how not to die while I'm in a developing country. 

And then I set up an appointment for Hepatitis vaccines and memorized the recipe for a rehydration mixture. 

All in all, my vacation is what I'm looking forward to.  As for the holidays, I'm looking forward to attempting a lamb dinner with Hubby on Christmas Eve, opening our gifts, and having some wine by the fire.  The Griswold Family Christmas may sneak in there somewhere too. 

After that, we'll see.  There will certainly be time for family hugs and minor gift exchanges, but there are no set plans yet. 

And I'm ok with that.  For once in my life, I'm ok with that.  I'm doing what I feel like doing and I'm trying not to put so much goddam pressure on myself. 

Trying.  And so far not failing, so at least there's that. 

13 comments:

  1. I love this post . . . I love the fact that you are not pressuring yourself to find your Holiday Spirit . . . you have an awesome holiday on which you can enjoy some spirits!

    There is nothing more terrifying and freeing as actually doing what you feel like doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a wee bit jealous of your vacation plans, even though I hate swimming and I'm not entirely fond of beaches. I just want the vacation part :P

    And good for you. You shouldn't have to do shit you don't want to. Focus on YOU, for a change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do what you need to be healthy. If Christmas ain't your end all be all, I say poop on those who think it should be. I personally enjoy Christmas and am so glad things have done a 180 around here. It was hard trying to care about decorating, et cetera when I didn't. Now I have 5 days to decorate and be ready to host Christmas dinner :/

    Normally I'd cry and throw a tantrum so I didn't have to, but my Mum is the quest of honor :D

    p.s. so jealous of your upcoming vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just don't cook the Lamb of God, because that's Jesus, and when you cook and eat Jesus on Christmas. . . well then I'm pretty sure that's some sort of precursor to the apocalypse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooo the Beach Boys! And Tom Cruise. Get the reference?

    Screw Xmas spirit, I say. Good on ya for just being you!

    X0
    Carm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm jealous of your vacation ... my vacation is this .. sitting around while on holidays from school avoiding doing anything of value except reading blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Foxy - So true. Terrifying more than freeing, but I need it.

    Mel - Aw, no need to be jealous. I might get malaria. Thanks!

    LACE - I like CHristmas, I just don't need all the hype. Tone it down, I say. You'll have a wonderful time with your mum, even if you order pizza and decorate with left over birthday balloons.

    Jim - Totally true. Thanks for the tip. No Jesus lamb. Got it.

    Carm - Not sure I do get the Tom Cruise reference??

    Jaime - I like the sound of your vacation! I miss those in between university days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you for taking it easy! Your vacation sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm super excited for you about your vacation! And glad you're not stressing yourself out over holiday stuff. Your Christmas sounds like it'll be cozy and relaxing and awesome.

    Plus, I've always found that it's much more fun to eat a shit-ton of goodies than to actually bake a shit-ton of goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hurray for no set plans! do what you enjoy. what you can handle. best gift you can give yourself. and those who love you too (cause we sortof like seeing you getting excited about a trip more than getting cards).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ang - Thanks :)

    jacqui - Cozy is the perfect word. Agreed!

    v - I actually feel like my capacity to handle it is fine. It's more of a conscious choice to not take on more than I WANT, rather than more than what I can "handle". That said, your card went in the mail hier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. that silly Tom Cruise movie with Elizabeth Shue and that british guy who drinks himself to death... you know the one...

    COCKTAIL! *i said cock*

    Seriously though, the movie plays that song like a kajillion times

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carm - Oh yes, I don't think I've ever seen that all the way through...

    ReplyDelete