Tuesday, 11 October 2011

I very nearly punched her in the face

Hubby and I are leaving for New Orleans tomorrow and I really feel like I've not done enough preparation.

We have our flights and our hotel booked.  And that's it.  Normally we at least have a couple tickets to a show or tour, but not this time.  This time I just plan to get off the plane, get to my hotel, and do nothing but whatever my little heart desires at any particular moment. 

Today (my vacation day after Thanksgiving but before we leave) I had a whole list of things to accomplish.  Productivity is my middle name, after all. 

So I woke up at 8, and then dozed until after 10.  Then I watched Ellen. Then I made the best possible use of my time and rolled all my coins - successfully adding $57 to my New Orleans slush fund.  I bet you're day wasn't that productive. 

Oh, but it doesn't end there.  I showered, did my nails, and put some laundry in.  Then I actually left the house (which had been becoming less and less likely as the time went on), went to the bank (struggling to carry all my coin rolls), and loaded my wallet with US cash. 

Then I decided that I'd been so uber-productive that I could afford a few minutes for a quick tour of the shopping mall.  But my good mood was effectively destroyed by a douche canoe salesgirl who I very nearly punched directly in the face. 

I walked into a men's clothing store to look at a winter coat for Hubby.  The little bitch approached me almost immediately. 

Salesgirl, in her best obnoxious and whiny salesgirl voice: Let me guess! You're shopping for your... mmm.... boyfriend!

Me, avoiding eye contact and grumbling: HUSBAND.  Thanks.

Salesgirl: Oh wow, I would never have guessed that. Heeehehehee.  How old are you?!

Me, about to LOSE MY SHIT, looking straight at her:  How old are YOU?

Salesgirl, unaffected by my attitude and as annoyingly perky as ever: I'm 25!

Me, quietly, while looking through the coats: Well, I'm 28. (The only time you'll ever catch me adding 4 months to my age, just to make my point.)

Salesgirl: Oh wow! You don't look that old at all! I just can't believe that!

Me, with my nasty-ass attitude:  I don't know if that's a good thing.

Salesgirl, not catching on to my piss-offed-ness: Sure it is! That way, when you're like, 40, you'll only look 25! I wish I had your genes!

Then she proceeded to tell me about their sales promotion and I continued to ignore her, leaving the store with a pissy look on my face and shaking my head. 

What the hell!? Would you ever just ask your customer how old they are?! Would you even bother guessing who your customer is shopping for?  What an idiot.  I hated this girl from the first moment her snotty little 25 year old face starting bee-bopping over toward me. 

I manged to shake off her ignorance, and went to get groceries.  I then made spaghetti for myself, Hubby, and our house guest.  We're leaving for Hubby's concert momentarily.

I have a shit-ton of laundry and packing to do tomorrow morning before we head to the airport, but I'm still super excited. 

I may post from New Orleans, at least maybe some pics, so stay tuned!

_

12 comments:

  1. Why did the nosy salesgirl have to go and ruin your super productive day? But I bet she doesn't get to go on vacation tomorrow.

    I hope you have an amazing trip! I like it best when I don't really plan my activities on vacation...maybe just have a few ideas in the back of my mind. I can't wait to see your pictures.

    Be safe and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a fantabulous trip! She's 25 and in retail nuf said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ignore the silly little girl and focus on your vacation!! I am so looking forward to your posts filled with photographs.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a fine line between helpful and annoying. There's one in a store I frequent and I always make sure my phone is handy in case I need to take a fake phone call.

    Have a great time in New Orleans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. jacqui - I know, what a donkey she was. We used to plan our trip in more detail, but now we just go where the wind takes us. I'm sure there'll be lots of jazz, beer, and food.

    LACE - Ha!

    Fox - Thanks hon!

    S - I will!

    teri - Excellent idea! I usually like to shop with my headphones in. When I worked retail in high school I hated people who did that, but times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah sales people (or people in general) like that irritate the hell outta me. Why would you ever assume anything when it comes to a customer? Also, if I didnt ask for assistance, don't come near me, that's my rule.

    Hope you guys have a blast on your trip ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. American money is so much more awesome than your Canadian funny money. :P (of course I live in Michigan and Canadian money isn't exactly out of the ordinary around here, so I really can't say much). And I could never be a salesperson for that exact reason. You literally could not pay me to be that obnoxious. I don't like to be bothered when I'm shopping--if I need help, I will go FIND a salesperson/store employee. I don't need them hunting for me like heat-seeking missiles. I refuse to do that to other people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate the "how old are you" question. Unless you're asking how old my kids are. That's different. Anyhow, have a super-awesome vacation. Can't wait to hear the stories from it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just tell annoying people you feel punchy. Or stabby. Then they generally leave you alone.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lin - Yes! People in general! Exactly.

    jamie - you should be!

    mel - *Our* funny money?! I can't tell any of yours apart from the rest! It also seems much easier to reproduce yours - ours has all kinds of pretty shiny security features!

    Ang - With kids it's different. With me, a grown up? NASTY!

    Heather - Ahaha! Yes I shall do that next time.

    ReplyDelete