Saturday, 17 April 2010

That is to say...

Ok, so, if someone was going to start a blog, what would she write about?

Option 1: lollipops, rainbows, and unicorns
Option 2: the catastrophe that we call our 'civilization'
Option 3: whatever pickle shit comes to her sad little brain

Now... if you know anything about completing an Options Analysis, you know that one must consider the costs and benefits, risks and opportunities, of each option - the pros and cons, for you simpletons out there.

Option 1: writing about lollipops, rainbows, and unicorns.  Pro: a chance to be ironical.  Con: I'd hate myself.

Option 2: writing about the catastrophe that we call our 'civilization'.  Pro: I might seem smart.  Con: smartness of this magnitude is damn hard to fake.

Option 3: writing about whatever pickle shit comes to my sad little brain.  Pro: It suits me just fine.  Con: I might offend your precious sensibility.

Clearly, the conclusion is obvious.

Now that you know something about completing an Options Analysis, you should also know that the KEY to an Options Analysis is presenting your preferred option LAST.  This allows you to trick yourself - and others - into thinking that the most logical and appropriate option is the preferred one.  Which in this case (much like Goldilocks' case), of course it is.

i.e. Option 3 is my preferred option and therefore the most appropriate and logical - and vice versa.

Which brings me to my second point.

"ie" does NOT mean "for example".  It doesn't even mean "in example" or "in essence" as some idiots think.  It is of Latin origin and stands for "id est" which translates to "that is", or, as we might describe it, "that is to say". 

So, an example of a sentence you should NOT say is:

"I am an effing loser - ie I use 'ie' instead of 'eg'" 

You SHOULD NOT say that because the idea that you use ie instead of eg is simply an EXAMPLE of why you are an effing loser, not a reiteration of that fact.

So, stop confusing ie with eg.  And by the way, eg doesn't even mean "examples given" as some idiots think.  It is also of Latin origin and means "exempli gratia" which translates to "for the sake of example", or, as we might describe it "for example".

Now that we have that straightened out, I'll thank you for holding these rules near and dear to your heart from now on.  And I'll invite you join me again for further enlightenment in the future.  (It is addictive, isn't it?

PS - "vice versa" is also Latin.  Look it up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment