Monday, 8 October 2012

I just want the pony treasure

GOBBLE GOBBLE. 

It's Thanksgiving here in Canada, so Hubby and I ventured down to visit the fam.  We first went to my Aunt and Uncle's house in small-town Ontario on Saturday night, and then yesterday we visited with Hubby's family in Hometown. 

Yesterday afternoon we went out walking at my happy place with Ma and Pa in law, Cousin J and her adorable dog, and Uncle D and Aunt K and their two girls.  (I call them "girls" because in my head they're still 2 and 5 years old.  Never mind the fact that it's been 11 years since I met them.)


My Happy Place.
Only, this wasn't just any ol' nature walk.  This was "geocaching." 

Have you heard of this, this geocaching

Here's what I understand:

People all over the world log onto GeoCaching.com and then they go on a treasure hunt.  The "treasures" are hidden in public places by other people and then marked by map coordinates.  Then hunters use their smartphones and GPS devices to locate the treasures (also known as "caches" to people who actually know what they're talking about).  When you find a cache, you sign your name, take a picture, and then log it on the website. 

It's all very exciting.

So we started off on the treasure hunt that Uncle D had planned out for us.  I was totally on board.  I love walking, I love nature, and I love doing fun things with our family. 

I also love treasure. 

So when Uncle D announced that we'd arrived at the GPS coordinates for the first cache, we went eagerly searching through the woods.  This went on for at least 5 minutes before we gave up.  Sorry, folks, but there was no damn treasure there.  Geocachers are LIARS. 

Despite our initial failure, we carried onward and upward.  We found the second, third, fourth, AND fifth caches.  SUCCESS! 

Although, it's possible that by the time we got to the fourth cache, I was losing interest.  I was far more fascinated by Hubby's poking stick. 


This is Hubby's poking stick. Notice its length, making surprise distance poking possible.



This is Hubby's poking face.  He needs to concentrate very carefully. 



This is Pa in Law, after having been mysteriously poked. 


I might have also been distracted by tiny hungry birds.   


That's a tiny hungry bird on Hubby's hand.  Eating birdseed that Hubby stole found.   

 
When Uncle D asked me to dig out the fourth little treasure box, I was mostly just annoyed that it wasn't the My Little Pony theme I had been promised, and that the congratulations letter was way too long. 

So it turns out that I'm not a good geocacher.   In any case, I've learned that geocaching is more about the experience of the hunting, rather than the finding of the treasure.  Just like life. 

(Although I may or may not have subsequently downloaded the geocaching app and learned that there are half a dozen treasures caches RIGHT NEAR MY HOUSE.  Maybe.)
 
 

26 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving!

    I have heard of geocaching, but I have never participated. It is neat to hear about someone's experience trying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should try it. Kids would love it.

      Delete
  2. I've heard of it, sounds dorky to me....also? Your hubby is smokin hot. (in a compliment sort of way, not crazy stalker lady that could be his mom if I had kids at like 9 kind of way...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally dorky. Which is why it's fun.

      Aw, thank you dear. I shall pass that along. I agree. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture looks like near where i live... That's not Georgian Bay, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt it does! But no, it's Lake Ontario. I adore cottage country too though :)

      Delete
  5. You're absolutely right - Geocaching is about the hunt, not the treasure itself. But I love to do it! I also like planting caches and then going back to see who's found MY treasures. I have some exceptionally-hard-to-get-to caches I plan to plant next spring now that I have my kayak that will get me to some of the fun little islands on the Mississippi. Just have to hone my tree-climbing skills so they don't get washed away with the floods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that's neat. Hiding them in trees on tiny islands is quite the committment - not to mention those who will try to find them. Nice job. I hope you put something cool in there! Like a little bottle of whiskey or something for hunters to sip from. ;)

      Delete
    2. Interesting to hear about your experience with Geocaching. I heard about it years ago, but didn't realized until reading your post that you could use a smartphone to do it.

      Thanks for sharing

      Delete
    3. We used a GPS device this time, but I later downloaded the app and it seems to work well. The free app is limited, but it looked like the premium app ($9.99) includes everything you'd need. It was neat.

      Delete
  6. Love geocaching. I've been doing it since 2005. The ones out in the woods and on the creeks are great because they get you out and in nature, but the really fun ones are the urban ones, because they are definitely more difficult; its very easy to get caught by muggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muggles! Uncle D kept calling me that! I kept thinking muggins. Or mullins. Or mulligan. Or something.

      Delete
  7. I heard about geocaching a couple of summers ago, but never did it. I think I'm going to start now! Especially if I can get me one of those poking sticks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. You totally need the poking stick. That's the best part.

      Delete
  8. Happy belated Thanksgiving! In the U.S., we like to call it "Happy Rape Your Women And Spread Small Pox" Day.

    When I read the about poking face sentence, I couldn't help singing in my head: Pah pah, pah pah, pah pah,pah PAH POKING Face...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our's is less focussed on the pilgrims things. We don't have pilgrims. and it isn't really associated with our Aboriginal people, either, come to think of it. I'm not sure what it's for...

      I don't know what that song is!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you had an awesome Thanksgiving! I've heard of geocaching. In fact, I wanted to try it until a friend of mine ruined it for me. She is absolutely obsessed! All she talks about it muggles and hiding from them and blah blah. I feel like I'd end up in a world of Harry Potter fanatics and be forced to learn a spell to become invisible in order to find and then hide a cache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could see how people could get obsessed with it. Not me. I haven't done it since! ha!

      Delete
  10. My friend's husband proposed to her via geo-caching A DIAMOND. A big one! It had been up there for a month. On a far more important note, I like the poking stick and am going to find one demain. LB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO. That is so cool. And yes, poking sticks are KEY.

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you had a blast! I, too, love the poking stick and am determined to find a similar one here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poking sticks are Hubby's favourite aspect of nature.

      Delete
  12. I went geocaching once with a bunch of intoxicated people at one in the morning. We all almost ended up with tetanus and/or shingles. Worst. Geocahing. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That actually sounds like the Best. Geocaching. Ever.

      Delete