Wednesday, 31 October 2012

I fucked up Halloween

I totally screwed up this year. 

Despite the fact that I adore Halloween (eating and decorations without the long-term commitment and family obligations associated with other holidays that shall remain nameless), I really couldn't get on track this year.

Normally, I'm an awesome hallowennie.  I hang pumpkin lights and plastic ghosts and spider webs. 

Not to mention I'm a wicked dresser-upper. 

Last year I was a garden gnome.  (A cute one, because garden gnomes are generally terrifying.) 

The previous year I was Dorothy.  (With the homemade red shoes and everything.)

Before that I was Maryanne from Gilligan's Island.  (I could never pull off Ginger.  In hindsight, I think Gilligan himself might have been a better choice.) 

One year I was a zombie bride.  (Which was great because that was the year before my wedding. Not to mention it was before the whole zombie Apocalypse craze, making me very progressive and intuitive. )

But this year?  This year I had a great costume in mind, and I was really looking forward to it.  So were all my colleagues.  But I couldn't get on track. 

First, I had THE BEST VISITOR EVER this past weekend.  Ms Sarcasm came all the way up to Canada to see little ol' me.  She braved a delayed flight, a surprise angel-like co-passenger, good looking customs officers, a Beavertail, a giant gooey poutine, and cold rainy October days - all just to hang out with ME.  We didn't throw a raucous party or anything, but it was so nice just to have my friend hanging out in my house.

However, this meant that I didn't really prioritize my costume making and decorating.  Although I could have finished things up on my Monday vacation day (the best kind of Monday), I just ended up crying and then I didn't feel all that festive (a story for another day). 

Then, last night I was buying candy and I found all the required props for my costume.  Enter: costume guilt.  Did you know costumes cost a lot of money?  A pretty penny that I simply wasn't willing to spend. 

So I bailed.  I bailed on my favourite holiday. 

And then today, work was a fucking asshole and I just ended up crying anyway.  IN FRONT OF MY COLLEAGUES.  Which was excellent.  

Also, everyone kept asking "where's your costume?!" and I had to tell them that I was dressed as a lazy, depressed bum.  In business attire. 

What a fucking pathetic mess. 

Next year I need to get my shit together. 

Anyone want to dress up tomorrow instead?

20 comments:

  1. we heard they postponed Halloween in NY, why not blame Sandy and do it when you are ready. You'll be able to blame Sandy for lots of things now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDE. You have earned a year off. Sorry to hear about all of the crying though =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just picture you as Maryanne - love that you got an Iowan to visit you in Canada. With Halloween in the middle of the week this year you could extend it through the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did eat about 10 reese cups last night, so that's pretty festive I think.

      Delete
  4. God, I so hate it when I've cried at work. Then I always say something stupid like, AND I'M NOT ON MY PERIOD EITHER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes exactly. The truth is they just caught me at a bad fucking time.

      Delete
  5. YOU are the very best reason to come to Canada for a weekend!!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would, however, like you to stop with your uterus wizardry :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. we're allowed to take a year off once in a while. some years i take christmas off. life continues and you're not a failure and neither am i.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yes, I've taken the C word off sometimes too.

      Delete
  8. I didn't do Halloween much this year either. Typically my 3 best girlfriends and I have our costumes and plans figured out to the tiniest detail months ahead of time, but we didn't even make Halloween weekend plans until Thursday of last week for last Saturday. It all kind of fell into place but god was it loathsome trying to figure it out...

    Next year we'll all do better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that sounds fun. I hate that last minute rushing too.

      Delete
  9. Remember when I reclaimed Christmas last year? Enjoyed it all the more after the previous year's holiday had passed me by without really registering. Next time you celebrate Halloween it'll be that much more special. Also, today is the Day of the Dead. So, definitely still some room for some spook! But no candy for annoying colleagues. Not even raisins! xoxo

    ReplyDelete