Saturday, 19 May 2012

I'm a risk-averse cat mom.

Y'all know I love my cats. 

But did you know that I love them so much that I would never ever in a million years let them outside

It's scary out there! There are threats around every corner.  Poisonous plants, and pesky fleas, and SKUNKS.  And we all know how I feel about skunks. 

Way to risky.  Especially for a particularly risk-averse cat Mom.  Not to mention once they get out, there's no stopping them.  They'll want out all the time.  There's no going back. 

Hubby, on the other hand, has been bothering me for years - YEARS - to just let the damn kittens out already.  Just in the yard.  They'll be fine, he says.  We'll monitor them.  They'll keep us company.  They'll love it.  Look, they want out so badly! Ahhh, poor kitties.  Yadda yadda. 

Well, last weekend, after years of resistance, I gave in.  Just for Patches.  Patches is seasoned.  She is trustworthy.  She's calm, reasonable, and entirely disinterested in anything but grass and shade. 

Tuxedo, by contrast, is neurotic and as stupid as sin. 

So, after all my concern, I guess I'm glad I finally allowed this.  Not only was Patches over the moon with pleasure... she was the cutest. friggin. thing. EVER. in the history of the world. 
 


And yes, she paces and cries to go outside now.  But whatever.  I can live with that.

18 comments:

  1. Omg let her out!! I'm moving and looking for a new place and it would be so much easier to live in an apartment, the search would be over in a day. But I MUST have a fenced in yard so my babies can go outside and I don't have to worry about coyotes or dogs or cars or them wandering off. They like being outside SO MUCH. I don't think we can understand how much. They love all the smells and the little bugs and shadows and everything. They love to lay on concrete and grass and roam around. I feel guilty just making them stay inside all day when I'm at work. I'm not a crazy cat lady I swear :) I don't even like cats. But I like mine.
    I used to have a beautiful garden and they loved that so much, all the butterflies and different things to smell and places to crawl. Come to think of it, I miss my garden and I love being outside too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does love it! We just let her out when we're sitting outside so we can watch her. But she's very happy. :)

      Delete
  2. We used to let out 2 cats out when we were out on the patio. It's concrete. They knew not to go into the grass. I can't explain this as cats don't give a shit what you tell them. There was only one time Maynard did go in the grass and that was to confront a racoon!? Are you nuts! I hollared and he came running back. Once he walked the um...curb? along the back of our house. He got to the end and walked it backwards to get back to the patio. Both cats loved when I'd sit with them and blow bubbles for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patches is just like that! When she leaves the grass and ventures is to the garden I just say her name and she comes back. She's always been very obedient. :)

      Delete
  3. Awwww... cute kitty! I've never had cats, so I can't chime in on the inside/outside cat thing. But it looks like he's having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you needs cats. Cats are cuddly and lovely. They're good for hugging.

      Delete
  4. I'm super paranoid to let my cats outside.... but I love bringing the ferrets out for walks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call on tanking cats above ferrets. ;)

      Delete
  5. Dogs have owners.
    Cats have staff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats have staff?! Have you MET your dogs?

      Delete
  6. i've got 2 cats and we don't let them out either. well, that's almost true. i bought a harness & leash and once in a while i take them out and let them feel the grass and sniff the bugs and lizards and it pleases them. one would run away in a second though if she wasn't kept on leash. and then my daughter would cry forever. not worth it. plus, there are so many dangers for cats outside. forget it, i'll just have inside cats.
    good for you though for letting your calm kitty out back with you. they really do love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can only trust Patchy. Tuxedo would run away at the first sight of some scary insect. Indiot.

      Delete
  7. You're cute. Your lawn needs to be mowed, just an fyi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bahaha! Let them out. You're smothering them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummm, when I had cats, they didn't go outside. I knew they'd be gone as soon as their feet hit the grass. Matilda got outside once. She took off for the great unknown. The next morning, she was cowering under the deck, just waiting for me to open the back door and let her back in. I thought she had learned her lesson, but later that year when I was digging out Christmas decorations, she took off out the door, never to return.

    ReplyDelete