Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Going commando

I did a bit of shopping the other night ("just browsing on the way home") and I'm quite pleased with my purchases: an adorable work-appropriate dress; an old-lady sweater; pants that are actually short enough without alteration; and, several new pairs of underwear. 

I love new underwear. 

I always go digging through my underwear drawer (which is stocked full, by the way) for the newest most comfortable pair.  And then whenever I get new undies, I can finally ditch some older less favourable ones. 

Which got me to thinking. 

Why must we have a hierarchy of undies

There's always a set of favs, followed by some special occasions, followed by some uncomfortable but practical, followed by period/sleeping underwear, followed by sexy but useless. 

I think we need an #OccupyUndies movement.  Forget the 1%.  

Now.  I also think, in an ideal (first) world, we'd all have only the "favs" category - nothing else.  I'm a youthful, successful, independent woman.  Why should I ever have to settle for less than the perfect underwear?

However.  Say I were to go out and replace my whole undie wardrobe with an entirely new set of favs...  Then they'd all decay at the same pace and I'd end up with an entire wardrobe of gross old underwear all at the same time. 

Plus, I'd never be able to make an informed choice based on the purpose of my undies for that particular day.  There'd be no option.  No decision-making process. 

I'd basically be a communist. 

Plus, we all know I'd eventually start unconsciously designating certain underwear for certain purposes (period vs sex, for example).  I'd inevitably end up with various categories anyway. 

It all seems unavoidable. 

Unless I stop wearing underwear altogether.  Like Carm.  Seems like I have a lot to learn from her. 

24 comments:

  1. I could never go commando, afraid I'd be all sweaty & I dont think I'd like the rash. Yeesh.

    There are honestly more undies that I consider un-sexy than sexy in my drawer. I should probably just toss out the old ugly one's but that damn cotton is just SO comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Not a fan of commando. My favs are not entirely ugly. They're soft but also cute and they fit well. All the other pale in comparison.

      Delete
  2. this made me chuckle. i have the underwear hierarchy too! though i stopped owning the sex undies. my husband's lucky when he gets it, regardless which pair of dainties i'm wearing. i also have the pairs designated for pants that are a little too tight & need something silky to slide over, versus the pairs i wear with my slightly too loose pants which are cotton & hold onto slip-n-slide pants. so i can't pick my underwear out until i've chosen my pants. it's complicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Lucky when he gets it! I totally get the pants thing. This is what I mean by needing to make daily decisions. We must have options!

      Delete
  3. I'm stuck in the whole replace all your underwear at one time until it all gets grody then replace it all again conundrum. Your hierarchy system is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I get older, I find my underwear choices are whittling down to "clean" and "not clean."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. That seems like a shame. But then again, very easy system. I like it.

      Delete
  5. I've gone commando a few times. It's.. distracting. Not necessarily in a bad way. But distracting nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Distracting. Ha! Agreed. Can't say I'm a fan, generally speaking.

      Delete
  6. Well, I have never! Seriously, this is bloody ingenious! I have been stuck in the grody all at once underwear stage. I used to have period underwear too. However, sorry tmi, since my last I have been much heavier and typically have to double up. So I have switched to Depends. Yes, I know wear "diapers" during that time of month. I go for the underwear type though. Hey, this just means I can get rid of the ugly granny undies and no messy clean up when I wake in the morning. Truly is a win/win. Yeah, I'm weird. lol No worries about check out lines either. I just say they are for my Grandmother hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your "Well, I NEVER!" as if *I'm* absurd, and then you jump into all this detail about diapers! I love you.

      Delete
    2. PS - How do you have so many kids, then?

      Delete
  7. the hierachy is GENIUS - you know, if I wore any. I adore you btw

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could never go commando ... it's just my style... but I never really thought about the hierarchy of underwear.. it's totally true though... hmmm.. I think I need to take a trip to VS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan either. We always need new undies!

      Delete
  9. omg! i'm not a fan of socks, undies, or bras. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha! I was just having a conversation with the Husbfriend today about why I have so many panties, he just couldn't understand why I would need more when they're already taking over his side of the drawer. Um..because new panties rock!

    Thank you for this post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solution: He gets no "side of the drawer". That seems way too generous.

      Delete
  11. Plus then there's the bra hierarchy: minimizer (yes world, they're actually even bigger than they look!), sexy but unsupportive, athletic but ugly, worn out but comfortable . . . and then there's pajamas . . . being a grrl is complicated :)

    ReplyDelete