Saturday, 23 October 2010

Mmmm... pudding...

Hubby made a funny observation the other night.  He said he's cooler than me (which isn't the observation, although that is pretty friggin hilarious).  Apparently he isn't just claiming that he's cooler than me - apparently he can prove it.

He said:

Just look at your night table, and then look at mine.  Mine has concert tickets, a book, guitar picks, and a Blackberry.  Yours has Kleenex, Advil, body lotion, lip balm, a mouth guard, and Vicks Vapo-rub.

Basically, the proof is in the pudding, is what he appeared to be getting at.

Well, now, let’s think this through.  Keep in mind that I was SICK.  Vicks isn’t a regular fixture on my night stand – it was a necessary evil for the time being, so I could breathe.  And Hubby doesn’t even read his book – it mostly just acts as a screen to block the blinking light of his Blackberry so Sleeping Hubby can get his rest.

But I’ve since started wondering if this Hubby logic could be applied to other aspects of our lives.

For example, our vehicles.

Hubby’s pickup truck: cool and manly.  My Honda Civic: popular and trendy.

But, let’s think that through.

Hubby’s red 1998 pickup truck says: “I’m a 65 year old retired farmer.”  And my four-door Civic sedan with stereo deck says: “I’m a 40 year old soccer mom pretending to be a 17 year old high school student."

So I guess that’s not very promising.

Ok, what about some of our personal possessions…

Hubby’s squash bag:  On the surface, Hubby is athletic and fun.  But after a closer look, he is competitive and has a significant odour problem.

My purse:  At first glance, I’m stylish with expensive taste.  But upon closer inspection, I experience severe separation anxiety at the thought of parting with my favourite - but very dilapidated - fashion accessories.

Hmmm, this analysis isn’t turning out so well.

How about our favourite tv shows...

If you just met me, you might notice that I like to watch the news, which clearly shows how sophisticated and knowledgeable I am.  But then you’d eventually learn that I record Young and the Restless every day and watch each episode at 1.3 times the speed on weekends, which unfortunately indicates that I'm totally unrefined, highly emotional, and exhibiting some serious addictive tendencies. 

If you just met Hubby, you’d think he didn’t like tv.  He’s too intelligent for that, and is more appropriately entertained by stimulating his musical senses.  But then you’d get to know him, and learn that his new favourite person is Snookie.


So what have I learned from this little exercise?  I think the whole point is, you can’t judge people based on one little insight into their lives.  There are always external circumstances, or skeletons in the closet, or cracks in your logic.  Apparently you can only judge them based on a series of little insights, considered as a collective.  Yeah… that sounds right... doesn't it? 

_

No comments:

Post a Comment