Tuesday, 26 February 2013

The last birthday of all time

Sadly, my five-day birthday celebration has come to an end.

I'm not normally one to extend the birthday process, particularly since I instituted my "I hate birthdays" policy 3 or 4 years ago - right around the time I became closer to age 30 than to age 20.  

However, I worked really friggin hard this winter - both at the office and in the laborious task of growing a tiny human - so I decided that a five day mini-holiday was in order.

Day 1

My actual birthday, which was mostly spent hanging around the house with my cats.  I might have even emptied the dishwasher, which has recently become a really effective storage system for clean dishes, while the counter has become a really big shelf for dirty ones.



I did have one agenda item for the day: renewing my driver's license and health card.  You know what that means, right?  It means getting my photo taken. DUN DUN DUN. And not just any photo - a photo that is going to last for the next FIVE GODFORSAKEN YEARS.

Five years is a long time, yo.  It's the difference between late twenties and mid thirties. Is PRE-BABY.  And it's even being taken on a day during which I actually have time to make myself look half-decent.

Given these indisputable facts, nobody in the history of the world has ever seen me with such cute hair and makeup on a random Friday afternoon.

TASK ACCOMPLISHED.

The rest of the evening was spent shopping around, without being rushed, and having a nice dinner with Hubby - who got me the best birthday gift ever.  


Days 2 and 3

Mini holiday with Hubby!  We drove to la belle provence, visiting Montréal for a night.


LOVED IT.  We wandered and shopped, went to a jazz club, shopped some more, walked 10,000 miles (which Hubby didn't even complain about!), bought new footwear, laughed hysterically at stupid shit that wouldn't be funny to anyone but us, and, la pièce de la resistance:  FISH PEDICURES.



I know some folks aren't on board with this particular activity, but I adored it.  Neither of us has been so relaxed.  We both nearly fell asleep and I don't remember the last time my mind was so clear and calm.

Day 4

I think we'll pretend this day didn't happen.  I was bummed this day, demotivated and tired.  I have these random Asshole Depression days once in a while that are not always attributed to any particular trigger.   So.  Forgetting it.  Moving on.

Day 5

BABIES! My wonderful friend let me accompany her to a museum with her lovely toddlers who of course were more entertained by walking/sliding/running up and down a ramp than by most other museumy-type things.

I then undertook some art projects for a friend's wedding festivities which if nothing else helped me feel productive.


And thus, the end of a five-day birthday break.  Which is perfect because I intend on having no further birthdays ever, for the rest of eternity, being frozen in my twenties forevermore.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I've started just shouting BIRTHDAY at people, and dropping the "happy" because some people are just NOT happy about their birthdays. ha!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Birthday, yes. Happy? Not sure... I don't want to get old!

      Delete
  3. Haha I love how the counter has become a really big shelf for dirty dishes. As has mine, sister. As has mine. And that is an adorable onesie! I wish I could find something like that for my soon-to-be niece :-) Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I'm very happy about the onesie. Super cute. I also found one that says "Centre of Attention" which I think my daugher will totally command.

      Delete
  4. Is that Miralax I spy on your counter? Best. Thing. Ever.

    Crap. I think I have to get my license renewed this year. I don't want a new picture. My current picture is the best drivers license picture in the history of the DMV. I don't even know how it happened, but there it is, and there it should stay.

    Glad you (mostly) enjoyed your birthday. You earned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally Restorolax! But in this case, it belongs to my cats! Seriously. If it were mine, I wouldn't be ashamed (hello, pregnant), but this is a daily dietary addition for Tuxedo and Patches.

      Ooo a good pic? You should beg them to re-use it.

      Thanks :)

      Delete
  5. I still can't believe you're having a BABY!!! So happy!! I love the onesie. Fuck, my uterus is starting to twitch. ;) Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I remember that twitching uterus feeling... Come to think of it, it's twitching right now - in a different way!

      Delete