Sunday, 3 February 2013

Turns out I'm a creepy hoarder

Turns out I'm a creepy hoarder. 

Well, not exactly.  I actually hate "crap" in my house.  I ditch stuff all the time, I sell stuff on the interwebs constantly, and on any given day I have a pile of junk in my trunk that is headed for Value Village. 

But last week I realized I do have at least one weird creepy hoarding habit.  I noticed this because for the last month I've been asking Hubby to gimme his goat soap. 

That may require some explanation... in his Christmas stocking, Ma in Law gave Hubby some fancy goat soap.  It's made of goats, I think.  Or goat products.  Or something.  And from the moment I saw the goat soap, I had my eye on it.  So for a month I've been telling Hubby to hand it over.

Well, he finally coughed up the goods, and that's when I noticed:  I seem to resist throwing out the last remnants of my previous bar of soap.  There is a thin, pathetic little sliver of my former soap siting on the side of my bathtub, and I seem to be incapable of discarding it.  I apparently think I'll use it?  When in reality, my former soap is so dramatically inferior to the new goat soap that I would be stupid to revert to my old ways.  Once you go goat...

So I got to thinking, it isn't just fancy goat soap.  It's all liquids and gels.  Like shampoo, toothpaste, lotion.  I apparently have a freaky obsession with making sure I save EVERY LAST DROP of every liquid or gel in my life. 

When the body wash or dish soap gets low, I add water and shake it up to save the last drop. 

I injure my fingers trying to maneuver the last of the toothpaste out of the tube.

I have at least a couple hundred small bottles of mostly-empty hand sanitizer on my desk. 

And worst of all, when my lotion pump no longer reaches the bottom of the bottle, I buy a new one.  But I don't throw out the old one.  No way.  Because once I use the new for a while, I figure there will be room in the new the bottle for me to add the remnants of the old bottle.  Sometimes you'll walk into my bathroom and there'll be bottles stacked on top of bottles, dripping contents.  Like ketchup bottles in a breakfast diner. 

This is a sickness.  Somebody save me. 

10 comments:

  1. I feel I should send you a photo of what the cabinet under my bathroom sink looks like. Bottle after mostly empty bottle of shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc.. I have the sickness too! The first step to is to admit you have a problem and you have done just that. Only 11 more to go ;) ha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god you should totally tweet me a picture!

      Delete
  2. you're just being frugal(I've never used that word before in a comment) & you'll find thats how rich people get rich, they are usually frugal with little things like soap...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suffer from the same condition. We need a support group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could help, but I too, am afflicted with the same malady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should trade left over liquids and gels. Like an exchange.

      Delete
  5. There was an Oprah about this once. It was for people who had crazy OCD afflictions and one of the women saved her soap slivers. Oprah made so much fun of her, but really - why not?! Don't we live in a culture too ready to throw good product away? I say you should be celebrated for your conservation efforts. AlsoIHaveTheSameSliversInMyShower xo LB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be a special prize for people like us.

      Delete