Thursday, 20 December 2012

Where the fuck have I been? Not shopping.

Well, not dead, in case you were worried.  Not that many of you actually bothered to check.  Assholes. 

I'm not sure what that little month-long hiatus was all about.  It has been busy, with work, and Christmas, and you know, life.  But no worse than all the other times I've been drowning in my own misery while still managing to tell you all about it. 

For the record, I did write a whole post a couple of weeks ago, but my fucking Blogger iPhone app mysteriously lost the post when I tried to save it.  I cried a bit, and of course complained to my friends on the twitter, but I never re-wrote the damn thing.  Lazy bum. 

So here I am, a mere matter of days before Christmas and I have not even written to tell you that I've actually been in a damn pleasant Christmas mood for once!  (Compared to last year...)

When we put the Christmas lights in November, I didn't even care that it wasn't the official socially-accepted December 1st cut-off -- I totally turned those fuckers on every night at 4:30 like it was Santa's goddam village. 


When I say "we" put up the Christmas lights... that *might* be Hubby.

Since then I've been singing carols, and eating junk food, and doodling elf doodles, and watching holiday movies like is the last Christmas known to humanity (which if the Mayans have any say in it, it probably is). 

Elf doodles

I think the best part about this Christmas was that we agreed with our families: NO GIFTS.  This has seriously made all the difference to my otherwise Scroogy nature.  I find I'm not stressed about finding the perfect present, or making time to shop, or falling into the front door overloaded with bags and bags of crap.  I don't have to keep track of receipts.  I don't have to attempt to WRAP oddly shaped gadgets without ripping the paper.  I don't even have to THINK about anything other than visiting with my family, staring at my Christmas tree, and drinking gallons of eggnog.  Best.  Christmas.  Ever. 



Where's Waldo Tuxedo Cat


Now, I did get a couple of small tokens for those closest to us.  And I did send some gifts to friends who live far away.  I'm not a total asshole about it.  But the giant list of things to buy?  No such thing.  And it may be one of the better decisions I've ever made. 

I hope y'll are having a wonderful holiday time, or at least that you're drunk enough to pretend. 

21 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the no presents thing.. we are getting one present (big) for the kidlet and that's it .. nothing between us and nothing for anyone else... it makes life easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much easier! Hubby and I do get some gifts for each other. We like that part under the tree in Christmas Eve. :)

      Delete
  2. I miss you. And I am not drunk, nor pretending...I neeeeeeeeed yooooooou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you too! Come visit anytime. We have TONS of snow!

      Delete
  3. Happy Feast of the Birthday!!!!! My friend's hubby is learning Arabic, and in Arabic this is how they say Merry Christmas... it's so odd it stuck.

    I however am stuck in the gifting. *sadface* But that's ok. Because we do Present Day. Jex and I decided that we'll get an end of the year gift for eachother and everyone after the Christmas sales... not cause we're cheap (because we are) but mostly because we get so see what people actually liked getting and that way there are no repeat gifts either. Usually Present day is on the 28th or so.

    Yeah I'm actually ok with Christmas this year. Maybe next year, after the fire of the Apocalypse dies down to a smolder I'll be jolly about it. hahaha!

    In any case Have a Happy Winter Solstice tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love the idea of post christmas gift giving. it could be any day that was convenient. good idea!

      Delete
    2. Preset Day! That's so fun. Although you'd have a hard time gettin me to the mall right after Christmas. Too busy!

      Delete
  4. I stopped giving Christmas gifts years ago. If you're not satisfied with a hug and a piece of fruit you can go and spend Christmas with another ape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to make it a reality though at first, no? This is a trial year. We'll see if we can carry it forward!

      Delete
  5. With kids, we're still doing presents. I'd prefer that we did not do adult presents, but no matter how many times I suggest it, it never happens that way. I'm slightly jealous.

    Why can't everyone be on board with taking that money, and doing something else (like a vacation) with it? Why am I the only one who wants to spend Christmas on the beach?

    That being said, I've decorated, made cookies, and am planning dinner on Christmas Eve at my house! I am pretty excited about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to get everyone on board eh. Maybe a gift exchange? One gift only?

      Dinner?! I did that once. 22 people. That was tough.

      Delete
  6. i wish my whole family would cancel gifts. particularly for those family members who i'm obligated to gift who i barely even know and maybe see once a year. they don't care about the stupid gift cards i send them, so i'd like to stop bothering. alas, i would be seen as evil and my hersbund doesn't like to be the bad guy.
    i'm glad you're enjoying the holidays this year. your tree is pretty.
    merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not evil! Maybe try downgrading to like homemade cookies or something. Someone's gotta break the cycle!! Merry holiday dear.

      Delete
  7. I was wondering where the fuck you were. I had to check if you were still following me on twitter to know you were still alive. We are never on twitter at the same time anymore. I have decided I need to spend more time with my family. WTF is that? Damn Cheesy Chicago changed a lot for me. Maybe a good thing. We'll see lol. I am glad Christmas time for you this year is much easier. Its easier for us, mostly because we decided to budget. No more $400/kid. I have four f'n kids!!! I was going into debt for that shit. I can breathe this Christmas. But I love the gifts. Whole thing behind that one though. Hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay family time! My twitter and blog reading is much less these days too. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  8. I am so so so sososososososo glad you're back. Next time, be a little less pleasant, would ya?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! Well, the post I wrote that got lost was nice am nasty. I'm sure you can take my word on that.

      Delete
  9. HI! I wondered where you were...if that counts.
    I love the no gift thing, or maybe make a donation "in the name of" the cousins you only see once a year. I love, and can hardly contain, my charity donations at Christmas anyways. Maybe I will be the first ass to start it and see if anyone follows.
    Merry Christmas, Happy New Year - Devan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally counts. Thank you :) You should totally start it! Pick a charity that means something to you and your family. Something local maybe.

      Delete
  10. I'm all about the gift exchanges. Especially among adults. I like to have something to open (especially being single, if it weren't for an annual gift exchange with some friends I went to uni with and the my family did, I wouldn't have received any prezzies at all this year) but I don't need loads of gifts. Hope the lack of presents worked out for y'all and that your holiday spirit stayed mostly afloat throughout the season. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have some tokens as something to open, but I'm over the long lists and hours of shopping and wrapping. I used to love it, but I think I grew out of it. Can't be bothers. I'm a grinch!

      Delete